The constructivist theory of knowledge that each individual constructs unique learning and understanding through the cognitive process has inspired the development of approaches that emphasize the importance of the role of the student and teacher placing more responsibility on the student (Laureate Educations, Inc. 2010). The constructivist theory correlates with the constructionist theory with the addition of creativity suggesting that understanding is developed by creating some type of artifact (Laureate Educations, Inc. 2010). Therefore, curriculum that provides instructional strategies and technology tools that give students first hand experiences can significantly enhance the learning process.
Educational technology tools such as spreadsheet software, data collection tools, and Web resources all support the strategy of generating and testing hypothesis along with correlating with the principles of constructivist and constructionist learning theories by giving students first hand experiences and creating an artifact that can be shared. “When students generate and test hypotheses, they are engaging in a complex mental process, applying content knowledge like facts and vocabulary, and enhancing their overall understanding of the content (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 202).” Using a variety of tasks such as (1) systems analysis, (2) problem solving, (3) historical investigation, (4) invention, (5) experimental inquiry, and (6) decision making can help students generate and test their hypotheses and give guidance through the process (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Instructional strategies such as generating and testing hypotheses like all project based learning gets students engaged in activities that provides experience in complex and real world projects where they apply new and old skills and develop knowledge (Orey, 2001).
References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program seven. Constructionist and constructivist learning theories [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
I agree that when students have first hand experiences their learning is enhanced. On my first grade team there are teachers that are stuck in their ways and do not want to implement these new ways of teaching. How do I encourage my team that using these types of tools will make their students more successful?
ReplyDeleteRachel Brewer
I like your idea of "Instructional strategies such as generating and testing hypotheses like all project based learning gets students engaged in activities that provides experience in complex and real world projects where they apply new and old skills and develop knowledge." As I mentioned on Ken's blog I feel that the best thing that we can do for our students is to create a learning environment that crosses over into their real life and their world. We enjoy going to school and learning about technology because we want to better our classrooms. But if we were secretaries in an office we would not find the same information interesting. Just as our professors create a learning environment for us we need to create such and environment for our students. I like to do this best through the use of inquiry based learning. I have learned that my students work best when there is something that they want to solve. When they are presented and interesting problem they are more likely to want to learn about it. I remember when I was in my college science class and we were asked to create a lesson about inquiry. I found that as I created this lesson I was interested in it because it was a challenge. I had the guidelines for the lesson but I was not given a topic. This idea created an unbalance in my mind that I wanted to fix, much like the equalbration that Dr. Orey talks about. Because of this desire to figure out the information I worked to find a balance to my problem. This is much the same as the idea presented in our text about a hypothesis. They have ownership when they create the idea and then feel accomplished when they answer it.
ReplyDeleteHow have you used constructivism in your classroom? What are the benefits that you have found by using it?
Having the students generate and test their own hypotheses sounds like a great way to have students really drive their own learning. Do you have any experience with this? I have tried this a few times with my classes but have gotten an effort that was far less then what was desired and hypotheses that were far from authentic. My students (HS Sophs.) struggle to grasp the concept of thinking creatively when it comes to the Social Sciences. Any suggestions for getting them to see this as a more serious and valuable learning experience?
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteI think every building has at least one teacher that is stuck in their own ways, and sometimes these people can be hard to convince. My only solution is to be positive and provide some short professional development in this area.
Brassard,
ReplyDeleteNo, at this time, I have not tried the strategy of generating and testing hypotheses with my students. However, I understand where you are coming from getting students to think creatively. I know when I introduce tasks and it does not go the way I intended I always stop and model, model and model.