Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cognitivism in Practice

From a cognitivists perspective, “ Learning is a mental operation focused around the concept that information enters through the senses, goes through mental manipulation, is stored, and finally used (Lever-Duffy, 2008, p. 16).” The Cognitive Learning Theory described by Dr. Orey, revolves around four components (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a).
1.     The limited short-term/working memory is able to process 7 +/-2 pieces of information at one time.
2.     The Elaboration Theory is the primary mechanism for storing information in the long-term memory. By making connections with new information, the information is able to be retrieved at a later date.
3.     Dual Coding focuses around the hypothesis that information is stored as images and text.
4.     In the Network Model of Memory, long-term memories are stored in networks.
“The instructional strategy cues, questions, and advanced organizers focuses on enhancing students’ ability to retrieve, use, and organize information about a topic (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 73).” This type of strategy correlates with cognitive learning by triggering memories and prior knowledge through the use of questioning and cues. Advance organizers revolve around helping students organize their thoughts (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). With the use of technology tools, students are able to create visual organizers. This type of learning is associated with the Dual Coding Hypothesis of storing information as images and text (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a).
Technology can also provide support for instructional strategies such as summarizing and note taking. For example, word processing applications such as: Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Spreadsheets program all support teachers in these skills (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Combination notes can be created using Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, and summary frames are recommended for use in the classroom because of the questioning that takes place (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  All these tools use informational images which are related to cognitive learning and powerful in the learning process.
Concept Mapping and Virtual Field Trip tools both correlate with cognitive learning theories. Concept Mapping helps learners organize information along with connecting their ideas. As in the Elaboration Theory, information is easily retrieved when a connection takes place (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a). When integrated into the curriculum, Virtual Field Trips can create a rich learning experience for students while drawing from all the different learning theories (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010b).
References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010a). Program five. Cognitive learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author. 

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010b). Program six. Spotlight on technology: Virtual field trips [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author. 

Lever-Duffy, J., & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. 

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shiela,

    I saw that you have been working as a reading interventionist for K-3 and prior to that worked with primary grades. Do either of these strategies mentioned in our readings this week work for you in a primary classroom? I have found that my 3rd graders have a very difficult time taking notes and summarizing things. However, I just keep telling myself, they have to start somewhere. I think if I provided a concept map for them, it might help them develop a better understanding of how to decipher important information. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of using combination notes and I am trying to find a way to work that into my lessons in the near future. Do you have any experience working with this concept or using it in a classroom? I think using the technology piece is important but I can also see this working with old fashioned pencil and paper. I'm also curious about any ideas you might have for using this with students in a higher grade level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, have you used virtual field trips before and if so what grade and what did you think about it? Also have you used the concept mapping tools prior to this course and again same question what grade and what did you think of it? As for myself I haven’t heard of either prior to this course and have really enjoyed the concept mapping tool or what I learned of it this last week. I can only imagine there is probably so much more I need to learn.
    L.Freeze

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,

    I have never used the note taking or summarizing strategy with my students. I see these strategies as very useful tools for students in the upper grades. However, if I was going to use these, it would be with my third graders, and I do feel it would be difficult to teach but not impossible. A lot of modeling would have to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freeze,

    After learning about these resources, this was the first week I have ever applied these tools in my classroom. I was amazed of the student engagement with the use of the Virtual Field Trip. I used the concept mapping tools and the Virtual Field Trip with my first and second graders. I will definitely be integrating these tools in my teaching in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brassard,

    When I read about this strategy, I was so impressed. I did not know that Microsoft Word offered such a tool. However, I have never used it but would like to explore it more for my purposes when taking college courses.

    ReplyDelete