Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

Social learning theories suggest that people construct an understanding of the world through their interactions with others, and connectivism extends social learning theory to shared human networks of information that can be organized and managed using technological tools (Laureate Educations, Inc. 2010).  
One particular instructional strategy that correlates with social learning theories is cooperative learning. This instructional strategy enhances student learning by focusing on students interacting in groups. “When students work in cooperative groups, they make sense of, or construct meaning for, new knowledge by interacting with others (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 139)”.  Four practices are recommended when applying cooperative learning in the classroom (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007) .
1.     Use a variety of criteria to group students.
2.     Use informal, formal, and base groups.
3.     Keep the groups to a manageable size.
4.     Combine cooperative learning with other classroom structures.
There are several technology tools that can facilitate cooperative learning such as Web resources, and communication software.  Students are able to collaborate with other students in their class, school, and community or even across the globe with these resources. They can communicate by using sites that allow them to share and create learning communities from school and home while still working as a member of a cooperative learning group with Web sites such as Moodle, http://moodle.org/. Because students are going to need “to be prepared for the fast-paced, virtual workplace that they will inherit, they need to be able to learn and produce cooperatively (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 139)”.  By integrating instructional strategies that correlate with social learning theories, students will be better prepared for the future and what is expected.

References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010a). Program eight. Social learning theories [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author
Pitler, H., R., E. H., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). "Chapter 7: Cooperative Learning." Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD, 2007. 119 - 138. Print.


VoiceThread

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila,

    I have never heard of moodle before, or rather, maybe I have but have not had a chance to use it. Are you currently using this tool? If so, in what ways have you found it to be helpful? I am always eager to find out about new resources, but with time being a hot commodity, I am always looking for examples and/or sample ideas for what has worked for others.

    Thanks,
    Nicole B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,
    I like the idea that you posted for students to collaborate with others around the world. However, I'm not sure how I could implement this with my first grade students. Have you acutally used this before, and if so do you have any suggestions?
    Rachel Brewer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila,
    I have not used Moodle before. What does this website do for you and your students?

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila,

    Like some of the other posters, I have never heard of or used Moodle. I did go there and searched through some of the material on the site. I haven't downloaded anything yet. Thank you for suggesting a website that you have used and know. I look forward to learning more about it.

    My question is very similar to Meredith's question in regards to what does this website do for you and your students.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete