Saturday, October 23, 2010

Reflection

“Educators have slid into the 21st century and into the digital age still doing a great many things the old way. It’s time for education leaders to raise their heads above the daily grind and observe the new landscape that’s emerging.” (Prensky, 2005). This is the 21st Century and we need to start teaching students the skills they need to ensure their success for the future. Technology integrated into the classroom can have positive effects on students. As an educator, we need to accept the change and move into the digital world with our students.

This course has helped me develop technology skills as an educator that has already enhanced my teaching. It has provided technology tools that when integrated into the curriculum will make a difference in my students’ lives. I have learned by integrating project based activities and using blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other web tools that everyday learning can be turned into real life experiences for my students. Using technology in the classroom will spark and keep alive the flame of learning for all students (Thornburg, 2010).

When looking at ways of how I have deepened my knowledge of the learning process when using technology, I now understand that just adding technology into the curriculum might not make a difference in the learning. Technology that creates a new learning environment will make a bigger difference than just using technology for making traditional teaching strategies more efficient (Thornburg, 2004). Also, my knowledge has deepened by being able to apply skills I have learned to assess project based activities. When using 2.0 web tools streams can be collected for assessment, and it is much easier to intervene before the completion of a task in order to guide students (Dede, 2010).

Two long-term goals I have for transforming not only my classroom but my school into a 21st century learning environment is by becoming a facilitator of change and to incorporate digital tools and activities into my daily curriculum that promotes relevant learning experiences and creativity. In order to do this, I plan on continuing my education that will provide knowledge needed to keep up with the digital world. I also plan on providing professional development on how to use 2.0 web tools in the classroom. I feel once teachers start to get comfortable using these tools they will more likely start to integrate them into their curriculum.

After completing this course and comparing my depth of knowledge on practices that support 21st century skills now to in the beginning of this course, much has changed. I am more aware now of my weaknesses and areas of growth in using technology in the classroom. Even though there is still more work needed in this area, I feel a lot has been accomplished.

Prensky, M. (2005). Listen to the natives. Educational Leadership, 63(4), 8–13.

Thornburg, D. (2010). "The Changing Role of the Classroom Teacher: Part 1". Laureate Education.

Thornburg, D. (2010). “The Emergence of Educational Technology.” [Video file]. Laureate Education. Unkown.

No comments:

Post a Comment